Log in

Hospital Cup Weekend Wrap – Round 5

Mon, 23/05/2022, 4:31 am
Brendan Hertel
by Brendan Hertel

Round 5 of the 2022 Hospital Cup continued to be plagued by wet weather, but we managed to get three-out-of-four games played, with the Souths v Easts derby unfortunately postponed.

Lets take a look at how the three matches that went ahead played out in the wet.

Wests 24 def Sunnybank 5

While Wests ended up outscoring the Dragons four-tries-to-one, the home side made the Dogs work for their points throughout the match, showing plenty of gritty defence to hold Wests at bay.

After Daniel Maiava crossed for an early try in second minute of the game, Wests camped themselves in the Dragons’ 22, but it would take another 20 minutes before Bronson Tauakipulu crashed over for Wests’ second try, taking the score to 10-nil where it would remain until the end of the half.

The second-half played out in a similar fashion, with Wests constantly pressuring the Sunnybank defence, but they weren’t rewarded for their efforts until a penalty try was given to the Doggies after a series of scrum infringements from Sunnybank close to their try-line in the 64th minute.

Sunnybank scored their one-and-only try in the 71st minute of the match, attacking from within their own 22, with some quick hands from the Sunnybank backline putting Lathaniel Tiatia away down the right flank.

Wests put the nail in the coffin in the final minute of the match, with Fijian centre Vilikesa Raboiliku looking to make up for a yellow card in the 68th minute after just coming on, taking a crash ball close to the ruck to dive over and seal the 24-5 win for Wests.

CREDIT TO THE BOYS | Flanker Brad Kelegai was again in fine form for Wests, while in the backs Jeral Skelton provided plenty of go-forward at inside centre. For Sunnybank, Josh Fenner was never far from the action and Daniel Feliuai Lene had some great touches in his first game of the season.

Bond University 38 def Norths 13

After suffering a loss at the hands of Wests last week, Bond University bounced back in style outscoring Norths six-tries-to-two at Hugh Courtney Oval.

Following an early penalty try, Abele Atunaisa was untouchable as he dodged the Norths defence to dive over under the posts for Bond in the 11th minute. Hayden Sargeant slotted the conversion to give Norths a 14-3 lead, with Connor O’Regan having slotted a penalty to put Norths on the board,

Norths lock AJ Woulf was next to score, crashing over in the 19th minute to narrow the margin to 14-8, before Connor Pritchard scored off the back of a driving maul in the 26th minute to again give Bond a solid lead.

Lock Sosifa Funaki, not to be out-played by his lock partner Woulf, crossed for Norths’ second try of the match before half-time.

The second-half was dominated by Bond, with Irish import Matt Dalton setting the tone with an early try in the 42nd minute.

The next try in the 58th minute saw Bond once again utilise the rolling maul, with Jake Upfield and Spencer Jeans diving over together – hard to tell who actually had a hold of the ball.

Pritchard would ice the win for Bond, scoring in the right-hand corner in the 61st minute off a cross-field kick from Hayden Sargeant, taking the score to 38-13 where it would remain for the rest of the match.

CREDIT TO THE BOYS | The Norths lock duo of AJ Woulf and Sosifa Funaki proved to be dangerous in close for the Eagles, while Bond flanker Connor Pritchard was in everything across the pitch throughout the match.

Brothers 21 def University of Queensland 14

Old Boys/Girls Day at St Lucia saw a host of former Red Heavy greats turnout to cheer on the UQ men and women, and while the women secured a commanding 46-nil win over Brothers, the Brethren spoiled the party in the Hospital Cup clash.

Brothers, as they have done so far this season, came out of the blocks firing putting early scoreboard pressure on their opponent. Former Reds and Waratahs squad member Michael Wood – previously a lock/backrower – started at tight-head prop for Brothers and showed some impressive strength, carrying the UQ defence over their own line to dot down for Brothers first try of the afternoon. Tyler Adams slotted the conversion to give Brothers a 7-nil lead in the opening minutes of the match.

Callum Hicks was next to score in the 18th minute, darting down the right flank off the back of a cut out pass from Adams to dive over in the corner, extending Brothers lead to 12-nil, where it would remain as the two teams headed into the sheds at half-time.

A penalty from Adams in the 42nd minute put Brothers out to a 15-nil lead, before a high-tackle from Nuku Swerling saw UQ reduced to 14-men. Adams added another penalty to extend Brothers’ lead to 18-nil.

UQ secured their first points of match in the 57th minute with a penalty try, before BJ Oates dotted down in the 67th minute, his brother Kye slotting the conversion, narrowing the margin to 18-14.

Adams kicked his third penalty of the second half in the 75th minute to extend the score-line out to 21-14, and while UQ continued to fight until the final whistle, the Brethren held on for the win.

CREDIT TO THE BOYS | Making the move from lock/backrow to tight-head prop is no easy feat so Michael Wood deserves a shout-out, while Tyler Adams continues to impress as the conductor of the Brethren’s attack. For UQ, the return of Sam Wallis from the Melbourne Rebels added some size to their backrow and he made his presence felt around the ruck.