Angus Blyth and Eli Pilz have been named to captain the Queensland Reds Development XV and President’s XV teams respectively for this weekend’s opening Queensland Rugby Challenger series fixture.
Blyth is one-of-nine Super Rugby capped players named for the development side, with Sef Fa’agase, Kalani Thomas and Mac Grealy set to start Nine players from outside of the Reds program will feature for the development team.
University of Queensland skipper Pat Morrey will vice-captain the President’s XV outfit, while Wests premiership winners Ben Navosailagi, Ethan Dobbins, Liam Usher and Latu Talakai have been selected.
Queensland Reds head coach Brad Thorn said: “Rep footy is back for club players in Queensland.
“We haven’t had that since 2019 without the National Rugby Championship, and the Challenger series is just a starting point to enhance Queensland Rugby.
“The series is a great concept and provides another development opportunity for players in Queensland.
“Congratulations to Angus Blyth on the captaincy. He’s been around our group for over four-years now and has grown as a leader. He’ll do a great job.
“We’ve got nine guys from outside our program who will represent the Reds this weekend. It’s good recognition for their efforts in club Rugby over the years.
“We’re pleased to see the players selected for the President’s XV also get an opportunity and it will be a tough contest over the next two weeks.”
President’s XV head coach Simon Craig said: “We’re really pleased with the team we’ve put together.
“All of these players have impressed for their respective clubs, and this is a great opportunity for them to do that again at the next level.
“We’re looking forward to seeing them in action on Sunday against a strong Reds outfit.”
The match will kick off at 4:15pm AEST at Sunnybank Rugby Club on Sunday 9 October, and is the centrepiece of a representative Rugby feast after the Queensland U15s, U16s and U19s take on their New South Wales Waratahs counterparts earlier in the day.
The match will be live-streamed via the Reds Rugby Facebook page.
Queensland Reds Development XV v Queensland Rugby President’s XV | Sunnybank Rugby Club | 4:15pm AEST
Queensland Reds Development XV
- Sef Fa’agase | University of Queensland
- Matt Faessler | Brothers
- Zane Nonggorr | Bond University
- Wilson Blyth | Bond University
- Angus Blyth (C) | Bond University
- Connor Anderson | Wests
- Sam Wallis | University of Queensland
- Keynan Tauakipulu | Wests
- Kalani Thomas | University of Queensland
- Lawson Creighton | Brothers
- Joey Fittock | Bond University
- Matt Smit | Easts
- Conor Chittenden | Norths
- Floyd Aubrey | GPS
- Mac Grealy | University of Queensland
- George Blake | Bond University
- Dane Zander | University of Queensland
- Phransis Sula-Siaosi | Souths
- Taine Roiri | Easts
- Tom Milosevic | Easts
- Spencer Jeans | Bond University
- Tom Lynagh | University of Queensland
- Cooper Whiteside | Wests Queensland Rugby
- Levi Samuela | Bond University
- Ethan Dobbins | Wests
- Rhys Sheriff | Bond University
- Zac Shepherd | Easts
- Jake Upfield | Bond University
- Jonte Connolly | Brothers
- Alex Smit | Easts
- Pat Morrey (vc) | University of Queensland
- Eli Pilz (c) | Easts
- Brad Twidale | University of Queensland
- Kye Oates | University of Queensland
- Tyler Campbell | Bond University
- Dan Boardman | Bond University
- Ben Navosailagi | Wests
- Meli Dreu | Easts
- JP Tominiko | Easts
- Liam Usher | Wests
- Latu Talakai | Wests
- Ratu Vio Batibasaga | GPS
- Connor Pritchard | Bond University
- Louis Werchon | Brothers
- Tom Lucas | Sunnybank
- Jordan Carriera | Easts